Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On Apr 23, 2011, at 12:20 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> On 04/23/2011 12:59 PM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>> I'm also looking into creating a temporary mount point and deleting when it's done, but if there's a crash or something, that temporary mount point would remain, unless I put it in /tmp or something radical like that.
>
> Couldn't you copy the file instead (possibly calling smbclient) to the temporary directory?

Actually, that's a good point and it would be a lot better than putting a mount point in there.  I've just been so keen on the whole "don't put it on the client system" thing that I didn't think of that.

It looks like I'll have to be taking a multi-part approach, using one way for Windows and another for Linux and OS X.  And the few people that I deal with that have Linux on a desktop are more aware and don't freak at the idea of having more installed on their computer.  And, in my experience, OS X users aren't nearly as tough to deal with in situations like this, either.

(It really doesn't make sense -- but then fear often is irrational.  I've seen small business owners that freak at the idea of anyone touching their router/firewall to add a static IP address or any port forwarding because their cousin or brother or son fscked up the network when he said he knew what he was doing and they freak at the idea of a small service provider like me installing software on their computer, but then they browse unsafe porn sites and install something off the Internet (saying, "But it's on a professional looking website, so they must know what they're doing!") and they think there's no way they're doing anything dangerous.)

Hal