Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On 04/23/2011 12:04 PM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
I don't have to use SMB, I could have the server use NFS as well, but I can't find anything about reading an NFS share unless it's mounted. As best I can tell, unless you use a program like smbclient, scp, ftp, or rsync, there is no way to read any network share in Linux unless it's mounted. To make a program on a non-local volume available locally, you can either copy it to the local computer or mount the share. At least that's the best I can find out. It's kind of tough to Google this, since searches always turn up tutorials on how to mount a volume.

I don't know how SMB work internally, but I wouldn't be surprised if mounting were just a convenience to ease access to files on the remote computer and to store credentials, but internally each access to a file in under a cifs-mounted path is exactly the same as an access via smbclient or other "mount-less" programs.

Anyway, what's the problem with mounting?

There is only one way to access files that all programs support: the filesystem. So I think it is not possible to find a general solution to your problem. Particular programs might have extra support, so it is possible to include SMB in some program and then it will not have to mount the remote directory. But that is specific to some program.

Specific libraries may have extra features. Gnome has (or at least had) a "virtual filesystem", and I believe it has SMB support, so any program using the Gnome API could transparently access SMB shares.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br