Re: Please recommend an external HDD enclosure

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:37:00 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> On 04/22/2011 05:31 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> I've had no problems with any of my hdd external cases so may I ask you
>> about brand and model of yours?
>
> Yeap, that's what they said at the shop, that there shouldn't be any
> problems with linux. I've tried two cases.

O:-)

Most of the chipsets used by the external USB enclosures are recognized
by the kernel so there shouldn't be any problem... well, it could, but
that's not the norm.

> One was a Konig (?) case, but I couldn't get it recognized. Something
> about it not accepting the USB address it was assigned.

That kind of error it sounds me a lot (I mean, that I have read on this
same list similar problems for USB devices -from hdd to pen drives- to
get properly recognized).

> The other was an IcyBox. It seemed to work at first, but then the
> computer became unresponsive and I had to 'halt -nf' it. Didn't get it
> to work after that.

Hum... having problems with one brand/model could be even understandable
but having problems with another different brand/model enclosure is a bit
weird.

> I've tried two different Western Digital disks. I've had a lot of
> problems with WD disks, so it could be the hdds' problem.

Yep, I've also heard about that but have not experienced by myself,
mostly because I tend to buy Seagate hdds.

And with the two recent acquisitions by Seagate (which bought Samsung's
hdd market) and Western Digital (bought Hitachi storage division) now we
(users) have less options than ever when it comes to hard disk choices ;-(

> Anyway, eventually I connected my hdd to a PATA to SATA interface on my
> motherboard and transferred my data.

JFYI, I own an external 3.5" USB enclosure¹ (I have more, but are
completely unbranded :-P) and still haven't had any problem with it and
features an internal combo interface to connect both IDE/SATA hard disks:

http://www.ms-tech.de/eng/index.php/product/detail/pdcid/36/pdid/119

Greetings,

--
Camaleón