Re: Why does Linux crash?

Apropos this discussion:

The original poster does have a point: resource allocation and process isolation are core o/s functions.

I've never really given a lot of thought to the details - for most of the servers I've set up over the years, everything has pretty much just worked (under Solaris for a while, then Redhat, these days Debian). To the extent that I've tuned resource consumption, I've mostly done it across Xen virtual machines.

But now that someone's raised the question: Can somebody suggest a good reference for an overview of the resource management philosophy, architecture, tools, and defaults for both the Linux kernel and for Debian?

Miles Fidelman