Re: Re: Why does Linux crash?

on 01:38 Wed 20 Apr, Borden Rhodes (jrvp@bordenrhodes.com) wrote:

> Thank you for your reply and your consolation that other people are
> equally miffed with Eclipse.  My question, though, is about Linux
> control systems.  Is one of the kernel's design goals to manage system
> resources to prevent a buggy program from crippling the system and
> forcing a hard restart?

Generally:  via a memory segfault (a process requesting memory it
doesn't have access to), yes.

However, system resources can still be overcommitted (memory is
allocated in excess of system resources, look up OOM killer), there are
other resources (open file handles, open sockets, disk I/O, paging
rates), which can be exhausted or when occuring at too high a rate will
make a system unresponsive.  There's no surefire way of preventing this
(Google "halting problem"), though there are measures which can be taken
to reduce these risks.

> If so, the control failed and it needs to be reported... right?

Not necessarily.

If you can produce and provide specific debugging information, file a
bug via the Debian bugtracking system.

Given what you've posted so far, I'd suggest you not do so, as you don't
understand the problem and would be producing noise in the system.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power