Re: [OT] Purchasing a wired switch; advice needed

Hi,

Klistvud wrote:
I'm planning to purchase a wired (consumer grade) switch since I've heard they're inherently more robust than (consumer grade) routers, and I'm planning to connect it *directly* to our cable broadband modem. Then, the two families would connect their respective routers (we have some spare wireless routers) to this switch. The various computers and network printers would then be connected, in turn, to these routers.

Can a switch juggle two basically separate segments, plus a broadband connection, like that? What capabilities should I be looking for in such a switch?

Would it reduce the load on the two routers and do away with their lock-ups?

Would it make our two networks more independent, so that one locked-up router wouldn't bring the whole network down? I guess we should separate the shared LAN into two distinct IP subnets?

Firstly, if you have loads of connections via ANY device to the Internet, such as lots of torrents and you do that through NAT (which is how it is mostly done), then you'll have large NAT tables. Routers will have to keep track of all the traffic that is current and it will time out traffic that is old (in it's tables).

It doesn't matter if it is a switch or a router, at the end of the day, you'll end up with the Internet router doing most of the real work. The only way around this, splitting up the connection to two nets, is to have multiple IP addresses and have them assigned as one-to-one and no NAT in play. Then each downstream router can manage it's own network based on the one [public] IP that is assigned to it. The Internet facing device shouldn't do anything special except pass all traffic to the relevant router handling the public IP.

The other thing to consider is using VLANs so that both networks are as separated as possible; that will lessen the risk of any person's computer from either network being about to attack / infect any computer on the other family's network.

In a nutshell, I don't think your idea to use a switch has any worth in this case. And if you can't get your ISP to provide an extra IP (or second distinct cable login to get it's own IP), then you'll have these huge NAT table issues with low memory consumer routers possibly requiring restarts to clear the tables and start again.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan