Re: file systems

On 20 April 2011 06:50, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
On 04/19/2011 03:18 PM, Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 19. 04. 2011 20:45:38 je prad napisal(a):
we are thinking of redoing our existing servers and workstations in
june. our servers is low volume and run out of our home via cable.

right now the servers are running freebsd and our personal machines use
arch linux, but we'd like to unify everything onto debian because
a) we've liked it in the past
b) we like the social contract
c) we appreciate the no-nonsense attitude about 'free'

we are contemplating the fs to use:
ext4 (which we've used for a couple of years)

Is good, especially for the fall-back option that both ext4 and 3 provide in case of failure.

zfs (we've heard this is really good)

It is extremely good and being seized on by delight by BSD aficionados for its speed, stability, configurability and ease of administration.

btrfs (ditto - though it's still 'new' and 'lacking' features)

I've seen this, somewhere, touted as the next default for Debian. It isn't yet and there are reasons for that.
Regards,

Weaver.
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.