Re: changing my e-mail address

Hi Pierre,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 12:02:43PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> >>I'm afraid your logic is not mine!
> >>The correct answer to my question is: "that's not possible with debian
> >>lists"
> >
> >You seem to think that electronic mailing lists are managed the
> >same way as snail mailing lists.
>
>   I really don't understand at all this sentence. I don't see the slightest
>   relation with the quoted part above. I just wrote "it's not possible", which
>   is obviously true, without any comment.
>
>   As for the "modify address" feature, do you put the Ubuntu mailing lists
>   in the "snail" category?!

FEATURE comes with high price tag of making it possible.  We as
volunteer group has to make priority choice since we lack manpower to do
all.  I do not think you paid for Debian mailing list service :-)

But what exactly is needed by you?  It seems to me that your frustration
is coming mostly from your lack of knowledge how this system works.

 1) To send mail from other mail service, you can do it any time by
   yourself since Debian is open list.  You do not need to use
   registered address to send mail.

 2) To change mail address showing up on mailing list and its archive,
   you can do it any time by yourself since spoofing mail address is
   trivial act of your mail client configuration.

 3) To change mail address receiving mailing list, just subscribe with
   new address.  you can toss duplicates for now.  Then you can
   unsubscribe. bandwidth is cj\heap.

 4) If you hate getting too much mails, just do not subscribe to it.
    You can read it from news reader or from web pages.

The negative damage of doing 3rd case is minimal.  Naturally, no one
cares to set up such interface to change subscription address.

If you are wondering what I am talking as case 1 and 2, please learn how
to use mail client.  I understand it is a bit obscure for novice PC
user.

Reading basics should help you.
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch06.en.html#_the_mail_system

Osamu