Re: problem with apt-get install AND apt-get upgrade

>Had you temporarily used other repositories around that time?

No, /etc/apt/sources.list~ is empty.

>The dependencies for scons are python... could it be that you have some
>non-standard python on your system??
>Occasionally I've had install problems because I'd forgotten that I'd
>temporarily make python2.4 the system default... but surely that would
>not be your problem(?)

root@debian # dpkg -l | grep python
ii gimp-python 2.4.7-1 Python support and plugins for GIMP
rc libboost-python1.33.1 1.33.1-10 Boost.Python Library
ii libboost-python1.34.1 1.34.1-14 Boost.Python Library
ii python 2.5.2-3 An interactive high-level object-oriented la
ii python-apt 0.7.7.1+nmu1 Python interface to libapt-pkg
ii python-cairo 1.4.12-1.2 Python bindings for the Cairo vector graphic
ii python-central 0.6.8 register and build utility for Python packag
ii python-dbus 0.82.4-2 simple interprocess messaging system (Python
ii python-eggtrayicon 2.19.1-3.1 Python module to display icons in the system
ii python-elementtree 1.2.6-12 Light-weight toolkit for XML processing
ii python-foomatic 0.7.9.1 Python interface to the Foomatic printer dat
ii python-gdata 1.1.1-1 Google Data Python client library
ii python-glade2 2.12.1-6 GTK+ bindings: Glade support
ii python-gmenu 2.22.2-4 an implementation of the freedesktop menu sp
ii python-gnome2 2.22.0-1 Python bindings for the GNOME desktop enviro
ii python-gnome2-desktop 2.22.0-2 Python bindings for the GNOME desktop enviro
ii python-gnupginterface 0.3.2-9 Python interface to GnuPG (GPG)
ii python-gobject 2.14.2-2 Python bindings for the GObject library
ii python-gtk2 2.12.1-6 Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
ii python-gtkhtml2 2.19.1-3.1 Python bindings for the GtkHTML 2 library
ii python-gtkmozembed 2.19.1-3.1 Python bindings for the GtkMozEmbed Gecko li
ii python-gtksourceview2 2.2.0-1+b1 Python bindings for the GtkSourceView widget
ii python-imaging 1.1.6-3 Python Imaging Library
ii python-imaging-tk 1.1.6-3 Python Imaging Library - ImageTk Module
ii python-ipy 1:0.62-1 Python module for handling IPv4 and IPv6 add
ii python-libxml2 2.6.32.dfsg-5+lenny3 Python bindings for the GNOME XML library
ii python-minimal 2.5.2-3 A minimal subset of the Python language (def
ii python-newt 0.52.2-11.3+lenny1 A NEWT module for Python
ii python-notify 0.1.1-2+b1 Python bindings for libnotify
ii python-numeric 24.2-9 Numerical (matrix-oriented) Mathematics for
ii python-pyorbit 2.14.3-2 A Python language binding for the ORBit2 COR
ii python-selinux 2.0.65-5 Python bindings to SELinux shared libraries
ii python-semanage 2.0.25-3 Python bindings for SELinux policy manipula
ii python-sepolgen 1.0.11-5 A Python module used in SELinux policy gener
ii python-software-properties 0.60.debian-1.1 manage the repositories that you install sof
ii python-support 0.8.4lenny2 automated rebuilding support for Python modu
ii python-tk 2.5.2-1 Tkinter - Writing Tk applications with Pytho
rc python-twisted-core 8.1.0-4 Event-based framework for internet applicati
ii python-vte 1:0.16.14-4 Python bindings for the VTE widget set
rc python2.4 2.4.6-1 An interactive high-level object-oriented la
rc python2.4-minimal 2.4.6-1 A minimal subset of the Python language (ver
ii python2.5 2.5.2-15+lenny1 An interactive high-level object-oriented la
ii python2.5-minimal 2.5.2-15+lenny1 A minimal subset of the Python language (ver

>work:/home/scott# dpkg -l |grep python2.5
>ii python2.5 2.5.2-15+lenny1
> An interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.
>ii python2.5-minimal 2.5.2-15+lenny1
> A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.5)
>
>scott@work:~$ python -V
>Python 2.5.2

this is the same as mine...

root@debian # python -V
Python 2.5.2

>Have you manually installed scons?
>Did it throw up any errors?

No I did not try to install scons before.

>I strongly suspect the problems is software based - when I've had
>hardware based problems with apt there have been plenty of error messages...

I confirm your opinion, it should be a software based problem.
Let's go back to your first e-mail:

>The only things I can think of are:-
>;temporary problem with the repository (it certainly works at the time
>of writing this)
>;your apt database is corrupted
>;weird dependency problem/conflicts

I think the problem is either corrupted database or dependency problems of apt-get.
By the way:

root@debian # apt-get moo
  (__)
  (oo)
  /------\/
  / | ||
 * /\---/\
  ~~ ~~
...."Have you mooed today?"...

>If you have the minimal python requirements then, short of suggestions
>from others, I'd propose that the cause may be a hardware failure.

>It's Theodore Ts’o's handler for file system checks - usually runs
>automagically every x number of boots. It'll show in dmesg if there's
>been a problem.

I searched in /var/log/dmesg for "error", "failure" and "abort" - found nothing...

>A hard drive monitoring system:-
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
>
>If your hard drive supports it, and it's enabled in your BIOS, then it
>can be useful to determine if your hdd is failing.
>
>NOTE: I don't propose that you need SMART to solve this problem, it's
>just another place I look for useful error messages when I'm trying to
>determine if a fault is hardware or software based.

I'll check BIOS settings during next restart and report in the next message.
I don't think it's an hardware problem, but maybe I'm wrong.

P.S. I tried to install apt with the deb package manually, nothing has changed, same problem.
By now I think of something like

apt-cache remove apt
dpkg -i apt_0.7.20.2+lenny2_i386.deb

to solve the problem ... :D

How can I find out, when the last apt-get upgrade or apt-get install was successful?

Regards,

Christian.

old message:----------------------------------------------------------------------

On 13/04/11 02:26, Christian Jakob wrote:
> Ok, first of all: Thank you for helping me!
>
>> There's the clue.
>> If you can't remember what happened then (mixed repositories, aborted
>> install, bodgied compile etc) then maybe it's something you don't know
>> about....
>
> Yes, I can not remember what I did wrong last time I used Debian.
> Maybe it is important to say, that I have 2 system running on my machine.
> 1. Debian (stable, for backups and open-source-software testing)
> 2. Windows (for gaming and reinstalling every year^^)
> I did not use Debian for a while (several weeks/months), but now I need it
> for my work.
> This is why I do not remember what I changed on the system last time I used it...

Had you temporarily used other repositories around that time?
ls -l /etc/apt/ | grep sources.list~

> In your last post you gave me the hint with perl and I checked it...
> Maybe this is the source of the problem, because as I know apt uses perl somehow...?!

> ... sorry for the long list :( ...

<snipped>
The versions you quoted all match the ones on my system.

When I've previously damaged apt:- perl, package dependencies, and a
failing hdd were the causes.

The dependencies for scons are python... could it be that you have some
non-standard python on your system??
Occasionally I've had install problems because I'd forgotten that I'd
temporarily make python2.4 the system default... but surely that would
not be your problem(?)

work:/home/scott# dpkg -l |grep python2.5
ii python2.5 2.5.2-15+lenny1
  An interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.
ii python2.5-minimal 2.5.2-15+lenny1
  A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.5)

scott@work:~$ python -V
Python 2.5.2

Have you manually installed scons?
Did it throw up any errors?

I strongly suspect the problems is software based - when I've had
hardware based problems with apt there have been plenty of error messages...

If you have the minimal python requirements then, short of suggestions
from others, I'd propose that the cause may be a hardware failure.

>> fsck lately?
>
> Don't know, maybe.. How can I find out?

It's Theodore Ts’o's handler for file system checks - usually runs
automagically every x number of boots. It'll show in dmesg if there's
been a problem.

>> Are you running SMART?
>
> What is smart? I don't think that it is running.

A hard drive monitoring system:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

If your hard drive supports it, and it's enabled in your BIOS, then it
can be useful to determine if your hdd is failing.

NOTE: I don't propose that you need SMART to solve this problem, it's
just another place I look for useful error messages when I'm trying to
determine if a fault is hardware or software based.

<snipped>

> root@debian# apt-get -sf install

<snipped>

> Reading package lists ... Finish
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information ... Finish

The above shows that a previous apt-get install hasn't been left broken.

> Regards,
>
> Christian

<snipped>

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Empfehlen Sie WEB.DE DSL Ihren Freunden und Bekannten und wir
belohnen Sie mit bis zu 50,- Euro! https://freundschaftswerbung.web.de