Re: problem with apt-get install AND apt-get upgrade

On 13/04/11 02:26, Christian Jakob wrote:
> Ok, first of all: Thank you for helping me!
>
>> There's the clue.
>> If you can't remember what happened then (mixed repositories, aborted
>> install, bodgied compile etc) then maybe it's something you don't know
>> about....
>
> Yes, I can not remember what I did wrong last time I used Debian.
> Maybe it is important to say, that I have 2 system running on my machine.
> 1. Debian (stable, for backups and open-source-software testing)
> 2. Windows (for gaming and reinstalling every year^^)
> I did not use Debian for a while (several weeks/months), but now I need it
> for my work.
> This is why I do not remember what I changed on the system last time I used it...

Had you temporarily used other repositories around that time?
ls -l /etc/apt/ | grep sources.list~

> In your last post you gave me the hint with perl and I checked it...
> Maybe this is the source of the problem, because as I know apt uses perl somehow...?!

> ... sorry for the long list :( ...

<snipped>
The versions you quoted all match the ones on my system.

When I've previously damaged apt:- perl, package dependencies, and a
failing hdd were the causes.

The dependencies for scons are python... could it be that you have some
non-standard python on your system??
Occasionally I've had install problems because I'd forgotten that I'd
temporarily make python2.4 the system default... but surely that would
not be your problem(?)

work:/home/scott# dpkg -l |grep python2.5
ii  python2.5                            2.5.2-15+lenny1
      An interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.
ii  python2.5-minimal                    2.5.2-15+lenny1
      A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.5)

scott@work:~$ python -V
Python 2.5.2

Have you manually installed scons?
Did it throw up any errors?

I strongly suspect the problems is software based - when I've had
hardware based problems with apt there have been plenty of error messages...

If you have the minimal python requirements then, short of suggestions
from others, I'd propose that the cause may be a hardware failure.

>> fsck lately?
>
> Don't know, maybe.. How can I find out?

It's Theodore Ts’o's handler for file system checks - usually runs
automagically every x number of boots. It'll show in dmesg if there's
been a problem.

>> Are you running SMART?
>
> What is smart? I don't think that it is running.

A hard drive monitoring system:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

If your hard drive supports it, and it's enabled in your BIOS, then it
can be useful to determine if your hdd is failing.

NOTE: I don't propose that you need SMART to solve this problem, it's
just another place I look for useful error messages when I'm trying to
determine if a fault is hardware or software based.

<snipped>

> root@debian# apt-get -sf install

<snipped>

> Reading package lists ... Finish
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information ... Finish

The above shows that a previous apt-get install hasn't been left broken.

> Regards,
>
> Christian

<snipped>

Cheers