Re: Disable a service

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 04:44:02AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 17:33 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> You're welcome. I should perhaps add that there's probably a
>>> possibility of Debian moving to systemd rather than upstart and
>>> therefore adopting (and possibly adapting) Red Hat's service and
>>> chkconfig.
>>
>> I'd be very happy to see that if any devs are listening :)
>
> Here's a lengthy, well-written blog post by Lennart on
> systemd. Sounds like this is the shiz:
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
>
> OTOH, I've heard howling from many quarters about Pulse
> Audio, another of Lennart's projects.

Lennart's also responsible for avahi and I'd read a mean but funny
post on an article about systemd where someone said "Lennart killed
networking and audio and now wants to kill boot". :)

I suspect that from a purely technical viewpoint the choice between
upstart and systemd is six of one, half a dozen of the other - at
least from my limited understanding of the technical difference
between the two.

I also suspect that alongside Lennart's technical viewpoint, you have
to line up Red Hat's/Fedora's dislike for Ubuntu and Ubuntu's
copyright assignment policy.

systemd in Fedora 15's alpha feels more different from standard init
than upstart is but it may just be my familiarity with upstart that's
clouding my judgement.