Disable a service

Hi,
I would like to know which is the standard way to disable services. I
thought that the standard way is just to delete the link of the
service from rc*.d

For example to disable bluetooth I would just delete the link
/etc/rc3.d/S20bluetooth that points to ../init.d/bluetooth

But then I used service manager from gnome to disable bluetooth. It
disabled the service but it didn't delete the link. So I guess that
there is a standard procedure to disable the service without deleting
the link. Which is that procedure?

Thanks,
Dan