Re: Disable a service

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 06:12:19PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would like to know which is the standard way to disable services. I
>> > thought that the standard way is just to delete the link of the
>> > service from rc*.d
>> >
>> > For example to disable bluetooth I would just delete the link
>> > /etc/rc3.d/S20bluetooth that points to ../init.d/bluetooth
>> >
>> > But then I used service manager from gnome to disable bluetooth. It
>> > disabled the service but it didn't delete the link. So I guess that
>> > there is a standard procedure to disable the service without deleting
>> > the link. Which is that procedure?
>>
>> cp /etc/init.d/bluetooth /etc/insserv/override/
>> vi /etc/insserv/override/bluetooth
>> {change the "Default-Start" and "Default-Stop" runlevels}
>> insserv --remove bluetooth
>> insserv --default bluetooth
>
> Sorry if this is off-topic; I'm remembering my cumulative
> confusion (and pain) from Debian's init system.
>
> Does some service not start? What to check:
>
> 0. package installed
> 1. /etc/init.d/service-name permissions
> 2. /etc/service-name.conf
> 3. /etc/default/service-name.conf (did you even knew it existed??)
> 4. symlinks (rarely a problem)
>
> I think the proliferation of control mechanisms reflects
> various components wanting to enable/disable services
> without touching other parts of the system.

I can't remember coming across a "/etc/service-name.conf" that
controls "/etc/init.d/service-name" but I'll take your word for it.
But I'd add "/etc/more-or-less-service-name/" as least for the case of
"/etc/network/", as an admittedly special and possibly unique case.

I'd add to your list "lsattr /etc/init.d/service-name" because there's
sometimes advice to run a "chattr +i /etc/init.d/service-name" as well
as "chmod -x /etc/init.d/service-name". Someone was advocating the use
of chmod to disable an init script earlier in this thread. I consider
that bad on a single-user box but *very* bad on a
multi-user/multi-sysadmin box.

I'm not familiar with other distributions so I don't know whether this
is a Linux-wide phenomenon but RHEL/Fedora have a similar setup, with
"/etc/sysconfig/" rather than with "/etc/default/". If you have
"ONBOOT=no" set in "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0",
eth0'll not come up at boot (clearly) or when you run "service network
start".

<rant>The syntax of update-rc.d is a horrible and you cannot override
the LSB headers with "update-rc.d servive-name start NN runlevel
[runlevel]... . stop MM runlevel [runlevel]...  ." with insserv's
dependency-based boot sequencing.

I would've hoped that the insserv command's syntax would be simple,
like the chkconfig one, but it's just as horrible ("insserv
servive-name,start=runlevel[,runlevel,...],stop=runlevel[,runlevel,...]")
and, to add insult to injury, it doesn't override the LSB headers
either.

If Debian transitions to upstart for wheezy or wheezy+1, overriding
"/etc/init/service-name.conf" will be done with
"/etc/init/service-name.override" (only available in 11.04). It's two
steps fewer than my previous insserv mini-howto; progress of
sorts...</rant>