Re: Disable a service

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 06:12:19PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know which is the standard way to disable services. I
> > thought that the standard way is just to delete the link of the
> > service from rc*.d
> >
> > For example to disable bluetooth I would just delete the link
> > /etc/rc3.d/S20bluetooth that points to ../init.d/bluetooth
> >
> > But then I used service manager from gnome to disable bluetooth. It
> > disabled the service but it didn't delete the link. So I guess that
> > there is a standard procedure to disable the service without deleting
> > the link. Which is that procedure?
>
> cp /etc/init.d/bluetooth /etc/insserv/override/
> vi /etc/insserv/override/bluetooth
> {change the "Default-Start" and "Default-Stop" runlevels}
> insserv --remove bluetooth
> insserv --default bluetooth

Sorry if this is off-topic; I'm remembering my cumulative
confusion (and pain) from Debian's init system.

Does some service not start? What to check:

0. package installed
1. /etc/init.d/service-name permissions
2. /etc/service-name.conf
3. /etc/default/service-name.conf (did you even knew it existed??)
4. symlinks (rarely a problem)

I think the proliferation of control mechanisms reflects
various components wanting to enable/disable services
without touching other parts of the system.

If I were to rate them in frustration potential, putting
"daemonize-on-system-start=NO' in /etc/default/service-name
would be near the top.

(To be honest, I haven't had an init-related problem since I
got rid of an overheating laptop. That laptop would have
benefitted from tweaking services so that cpufrequtils would
throttle down the CPU *early*, preventing a long fsck
process from triggering a overheating shutdown.)

Cheers~

Joel

--
Joel Roth