Re: Disable a service

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 05:33:10PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 05:51:12AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> It's interesting/weird that there isn't a canonical way - other than
> breaking some rule(s) by using update-rc.d or insserv. :)
>
> >> I consider
> >> that bad on a single-user box but *very* bad on a
> >> multi-user/multi-sysadmin box.
> >
> > Why is that *very* bad (or even bad)? Please enlighten me!
>
> In a company, using non-standard procedures makes the job of an
> incoming sysadmin and of his/her new colleagues more difficult than it
> should be.

Well, that's odd to say given what you write above (albeit later)
that there *is* no canonical way.

Also, odd to say in that checking and setting permissions is
so common. I would expect a professional admin to think
to look at init script permissions if a service didn't start.
(If it's a company, sure, the admin should keep some kind of
logbook explaining his choices.)

Comparing service startup to a field like network or
firewall configuration I don't think we are talking about
something that difficult.

I'm noticing that the horse's chest is no longer heaving,
so perhaps this is a good place to leave it.

Cheers~

--
Joel Roth