Re: Ubuntu Versions (was: Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...)

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 03:37:16PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 03:03:41PM -0400, Matt Harrison wrote:
> >

> > > All fine points....here you go:
> > >

> > As regards Debian users, the pros and cons of another distro vis-a-vis
> > their
> > system is legit.
> >
> > As regards Ubuntu users seeking Debian advice, I think they should
> > establish
> > a debuntu-users list.  But that is irrelevant to this thread.
> >

> Well, there is no interest in me or the people I provide support for, to
> move to Ubuntu, although I can see where this conversation would have merit
> to someone.  I received a few responses answering my original question, so
> thank you for those.  Guess the way to go is with  upgrading.  For all its
> flaws, one nice thing about Windows is that it has a 10-year (14-year for
> XP) support cycle, so while there may be service packs, etc., to the end
> user, the interface is virtually the same for 10 years. I realize that not
> upgrading/getting more goodies/etc. is not the preference of most people on
> the list, but for some Debian users it might be.  It's an "if it ain't
> broke, don't fix it" type thing.

I am feeling your pain. :(

After 1.5 testing cycles, I have tried to follow squeeze into stable.

But now I am remembering that my testing cycle idea was to have a sort of
rolling release.  I would put off upgrades of touchy sounding packages
until I was sure of negotiating a good outcome.  I would store versions
with apt-cacher so I wouldn't have to go looking for packages to back out of
problems.  I wouldn't let myself feel inclined to immediately upgrade
everything that presented.

But I still hit bumps in the road with my old Radeon and some sound issues.
I still found myself under upgrade pressure from the shear number of packages
migrating to testing. I still had to analyze dependency knots from being
spread all over the release schedule.

Now I have sid & unstable creeping more and more into my "stable" system
that was only suppose to diversify to the extent of stable-updates,
backports, multimedia and a few choice packages.

If I stay with squeeze to the bitter end, I will have 5 years. But, 2 of
them, I spent more time working on my system than using it.

And, in 3 years I am looking at a big upgrade, potentially with issues I
have become unfamiliar with, and an undetermined learning period, possibly
with a switch away from Gnome.

My lack of decision on this is netting me a stable system with increasing
amounts of sid and unstable, not to mention a little oldstable.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody