Ubuntu Versions (was: Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...)

On 2011-04-05 12:07:16 George Standish wrote:

>>> Just to clarify, Ubuntu LTS releases are 5 years for the server version,
>>> 3 years for the desktop version.
>>
>> They use the same repositories.  What exactly is the difference?  Does the
>> server version not include "restricted"?  (Like neither version includes
>> "universe" or "multiverse".)
>
>I'm really not sure, I've only used the desktop version (besides some
>very superficial installs of server in a VM).

From
<http://www.canonical.com/sites/default/files/active/Top_10_ServerQA_Eng_WP_AW_0.pdf>:
10. Can I install server packages on an Ubuntu Desktop installation
and vice versa?
Yes – Ubuntu’s flexibility makes it easy. The Ubuntu software repositories
do not isolate packages to particular types of deployments. All the server
software in the repositories is available to the desktop user, and all the
desktop
software can also be installed on the server.
This means Ubuntu provides a simple testing platform, where software can
be trialled, adapted and configured on a systems administrator’s workstation
easily, before being deployed on the server.

tl;dr: No difference.

Responding to something elsewhere in the thread.  "universe" and "multiverse"
are not covered under desktop edition or server edition support.  They are
sort of like "non-free" -- best effort support.  That said, there's a lot of
good people on the MotU team that keeps "universe" in descent shape for a year
or so after a release, but I wouldn't count on 5 years.