Re: Ubuntu Versions (was: Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...)

On 2011-04-05 12:24:39 Matt Harrison wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
><bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

>>>I'm really not sure.
>>>
>> From
>> <http://www.canonical.com/sites/default/files/active/Top_10_ServerQA_Eng_W
>> P_AW_0.pdf>:
>> 10. Can I install server packages on an Ubuntu Desktop
>> installation and vice versa?
>> Yes – Ubuntu’s flexibility makes it easy. The Ubuntu software repositories
>> do not isolate packages to particular types of deployments. All the server
>> software in the repositories is available to the desktop user, and all the
>> desktop software can also be installed on the server.
>>
>> tl;dr: No difference.
>
>Are we seriously going to argue about which version of Ubuntu is
>supported for how long?

I think it is reasonable to discuss, if a little OT.

>Who cares?

Someone that doesn't necessarily want to upgrade on Debian's schedule.  With
Ubuntu, you can get 5 years, as opposed to Debian's ~3 years.  With SLE* you
can get 10 years.  I'm not sure about RHEL, but I think it is roughly a SLE*
timeframe.

There are a number of organizations that would prefer to put hardware out in
the field with a certain image and only apply security and important bug fixes
for the life of the hardware.  If the hardware refresh cycle is 3 years, you
can always install the latest Ubuntu LTS at deployment time and be good for 3
years; that's not true of Debian (e.g. deployments in fall 2010).  If the
hardware refresh cycle is 5 years, you can always install the latest SLES + SP
and be good for 5 years; that's not true of Ubuntu (e.g. deployments that
don't fall more or less exactly on an LTS release date).

I prefer Debian, but I haven't had to manage 100s or 1000s of installations
where my main IT staff only has remote access or tried to completely script a
change from oldstable -> stable.  I'm sure it's possible, but it probably
requires more work than just updating the systems within the same release.
I'm also not that interested is chipping on an effort to maintain Debian
oldstable any longer than it is supported now.  For my purposes, the 1 year
time frame given to execute an oldstable -> stable transition has always been
more than enough.

I should also note that Debian's support is (usually) for every package in
main.  This is a much larger selection of software that is in Ubuntu's
main+restricted or within the SLE* support matrix.  So, there are definitely
cases where Debian's support is best-in-class.