Re: mouse speed too fast

Chance Platt <chance@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

>> That looks helpful, but how do I actually make the changes? I assume
>> that I should edit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi, and I used the
>> code provided in your link as an example. Do I have to restart X to get
>> the config re-read? Your link suggest I can stop hal with
>> /etc/init.d/hald stop, but that file doesn't exist on my system.
>>
>> What I'm finding on Google seems to suggest that most people interact
>> with Hal through some sort of desktop-environment-specific device
>> manager, but I don't see one for Fluxbox. The actual hal docs are a bit
>> imposing for me - I don't want to program it, I just want to tweak the
>> configuration!
>>

> First, I made the assumption you're running Squeeze or later (whoops).
> If you're running Lenny, you can't follow the instructions I gave
> because the improved mouse handling is not available in Lenny.

I'm running testing/Wheezy.

> You have one of two options really: the HAL path or the xorg.conf
> path. I'd follow the xorg.conf path because I"m familiar with it and
> it is relatively easy to work with. Also, on my box, I have both
> fluxbox and gnome installed and do not have the hal package installed
> - AFAIK it is optional and being obsoleted by udev anyway. It may be
> completely superfluous in your situation.

I've been a little confused about xorg vs hal vs udev. It's not clear to
me which I ought to be reading up on, but it is clear I need to know
more about whichever one is now the canonical way to interact with X.

> To move on from where you're at: either undo your changes to HAL
> configuration, uninstall the "hal" package if possible, or hope
> someone who is more familiar with HAL is on the list. :)

Hal is required by wpasupplicant. Actually, it is a dependency of a
dependency of wpasupplicant, so I don't think I can get rid of it. I did
delete my modifications to the Hal config file.

> The xorg.conf route is pretty easy. Some basic information about
> xorg.conf: http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg
>
> The basics: you probably don't have an xorg.conf. Create one if you
> don't, by, as root, using "Xorg -configure". This creates a default
> working xorg.conf. Then add your custom pointer settings to your
> heart's desire, move the file to /etc/X11/, and start X. If X fails to
> start for some reason, move or rename xorg.conf and try again.

I did have a xorg.conf, but I made a new one with Xorg -configure, and
modified the mouse section to read:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
	Option      "ConstantDeceleration" "2"
EndSection

After that, I exited out of X, restarted, and I still have a super-fast
mouse. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Tyler