Re: mouse speed too fast

Chance Platt <chance@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On 04/03/2011 05:58 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:
>>
>> I've tried using xset to change the sensitivity, but I have only
>> succeeded in making it even faster (for instance, using xset m 10 0). My
>> attempts to slow the mouse down (xset m 1/100 100, xset m 1/1000 100
>> etc.) have not produced a mouse that is slow enough for easy use. Is
>> there something else I can do to slow the mouse down, or some other
>> incantation of xset that might persuade X that I want a _really_ slow
>> mouse?
>>

> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration
>
> Pay attention especially to ConstantDeceleration if regular options
> don't help much.

That looks helpful, but how do I actually make the changes? I assume
that I should edit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi, and I used the
code provided in your link as an example. Do I have to restart X to get
the config re-read? Your link suggest I can stop hal with
/etc/init.d/hald stop, but that file doesn't exist on my system.

What I'm finding on Google seems to suggest that most people interact
with Hal through some sort of desktop-environment-specific device
manager, but I don't see one for Fluxbox. The actual hal docs are a bit
imposing for me - I don't want to program it, I just want to tweak the
configuration!

Thanks for your help,

Tyler