Re: [SOLVED] Re: How to change the style and background of the Squeeze login screen?

On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:49 PM, Tom H wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to keep gdm3 and customize it?

http://www.khattam.info/howto-change-gdm-3-theme-and-wallpaper-2010-11-14.html

Interesting. Is the presence and structure of those configuration files documented anywhere? Was this mentioned in the release notes?

I'll admit I didn't even try to RTFM to before I asked. I just assumed that if it was intuitive to use and had a simple gui in gdm, it should have at least that much user friendliness in the replacement, gdm3. Clearly I was wrong and we've returned to the days of editing configuration files by hand as the preferred mode of system administration. Such is life!

Rick

PS: I understand the argument that the GNOME upstream folks have moved on and do not support gdm anymore. I further understand the argument that Debian can't go-it alone without upstream support.

But I don't have to like the result!   /^;