Re: [SOLVED] Re: How to change the style and background of the Squeeze login screen?

On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:07 AM, Liam O'Toole wrote:

On 2011-03-24, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] .

   Remove the following packages:
1)     gdm3

   Install the following packages:
2)     fast-user-switch-applet [2.24.0-6 (stable)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Now answer "y".  All will be well and after a reboot you will get the
familiar gdm login screen with the "Actions" option that allows you to
set themes and color-schemes.

Ahhhh!  *So* much better!

You should get the same result if you install in one shot:

	aptitude install gdm fast-user-switch-applet

True. But how to know that? I'd need to do a detailed study of the ramified dependencies of gdm and gdm3. All I really wanted was to replace gdm3 with gdm. Aptitude and apt are supposed to be there to keep me from having to understand the dependency tree in all its gory detail.

The "." trick does the exploration for me, if I know to use it. It's in the documentation, but it's not immediately obvious that it solves this kind of problem.

I hope that reporting my experiences here will raise consciousness of the tissue, and in the future others will read this thread and learn how to improve their user experience with Debian.

Enjoy!

Rick