How to change the style and background of the Squeeze login screen?

No offense intended to anyone involved, but I don't like the stars and spaceships look of the new Squeeze login screen. Tastes differ, and my taste differs from that.

In Lenny I had a bunch of options for the login screen and could almost always find one that fit for the particular machine I was installing. But now, with gdm3, I seem to be stuck with stars and spaceships.

I tried installing gdm, which (as expected) wanted to replace gdm3 (which was fine with me) but it also wanted to delete a *whole* *bunch* of other stuff as well. I have no idea if I need that other stuff -- or am I just as well off without it?

Is there some easy way I can get my login screen options back?

Thanks!

Rick