[SOLVED] mpd blocks all other sound output EBUSY

I was about to write a long email, complete with some logs and config
files, and postpone it to remind me to STFW for more info on an mpd
issue I was having.

While bundling everything up, I decided to try, on a lark, commenting
out someting marked 'optional' in mpd.conf, under the assumption that
using said option would force it straight to hardware as opposed to
going through dmix.

This was caused, in my case, by blindly uncommenting the "device" entry
in the audio_output block of mpd.conf; it'd look something like this:

audio_output {
       # snip
       device                  "hw:0,0"     # optional
       # snip
}

Parts of the message I was writing will be left as google bait to
document a potential cause of trouble to watch out for while
troubleshooting mpd for all eternity.

---

With my laptop running Debian lenny 5.0.8, I was unable to play any
other sounds while mpd is running; an attempt to do so failed, the error
indicating blockage of the audio device (EBUSY) typical transcript is
below.

$ sudo invoke-rc.d mpd start
Starting Music Player Daemon: mpd.
$ play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav; echo $?
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
play soxio: Can't open output file `default': cannot open audio device
2
$ sudo invoke-rc.d mpd stop
$ play /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav; echo $?
# Audio is heard as normal.
0

--
 _  Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0     .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com      ..: