Re: Format ext3 hard drives

On 03/23/2011 02:44 AM, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Dan<ganchya@gmail.com>  wrote:
I didn't know that the inodes would take so much space.
Ext4 would be a better option?
I chose Ext3 because it is older and it should be more stable
therefore better for a server. Moreover I am going to use ecryptfs on
top of that, and I do not know if ext4 works well with ecryptfs.
Both ext3 and ext4 pre-allocate inodes, which is why it takes so long
to create really large partitions. If you want fast filesystem
creation, use JFS or XFS instead.

The subject of filesystems is a complex one, so unless you benchmark
each for your particular purposes, you'll have to settle for some
generalizations. ext4 is more efficient than ext3 because it uses
extents, so ext4 is probably the better choice for most purposes
except your boot partition.

/snip/

If it makes any difference to you, I believe that the program that lets Windows read ext2 filesystems also works on ext3, but I don't think it works on ext4. If you do care about this, do a little further research and verify what I just wrote.
I remember reading about this several months ago.

--doug