Re: Format ext3 hard drives

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Karl Vogel <vogelke+debian@pobox.com> wrote:
>>> On Tuesday 22 March 2011 02:42:36 pm Dan wrote:
>
> D> I am using the netinst to install Debian. I have one hard drive of 160GB
> D> and 2 hard drives of 2TB. Each hard drive has a ext3 partition for the
> D> whole drive. I used ext3 instead of ext4, because that is the default
> D> value in Squeeze.  The netinst is creating the ext3 partitions but it is
> D> taking for ever.
>
>>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:19:12 -0800, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> said:
>
> G> Not sure about the initial format but all subsequent fsck take lots of
> G> time with ext3, esp 2 TB.
>
>   If you're really set on ext3, specifying larger files and fewer inodes
>   will definitely shorten the partition build and fsck times.  I have some
>   Seagate 1.5Tb drives, and I decided on two ~700Gb partitions instead of
>   a single giant one.  You might have to fool around with fdisk to get the
>   sizes just the way you like.
>
> Using fewer inodes added a total of nearly 80 Gb of available space on
> /space1 and /space2, compared to one huge partition with default inode setup.

80Gb in a 1.5Tb hard drive is the 5% I didn't know that the inodes
would take so much space. Ext4 would be a better option?
I chose Ext3 because it is older and it should be more stable
therefore better for a server. Moreover I am going to use ecryptfs on
top of that, and I do not know if ext4 works well with ecryptfs.

Dan