Re: Xorg sever does not work in squeeze for me

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:31:21AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Du, 13 mar 11, 22:39:46, Martin wrote:
> > (--) MGA(0): Virtual size is 1360x768 (pitch 1376)
> > (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
> > (EE) MGA(0): Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
> > (EE) MGA(0): Need at least 12384 kB video memory at this resolution, bit depth
>
> I don't really understand why, but the mga drivers seems to think you
> need 12 MiB video memory, while according to my calculation it should be
> just a bit less than 4 MiB. As a quick fix you can try to pass
> '-depth 16' to X, like this:
>
>     startx -- -depth 16

That did not help. I get dislplay sligthly different than before but it
is still messed up. I will try to reinstall squeeze to see if that will
make any difference [god old memories of how to fix prblems with Windows
- X is not mentioned, MS is implied :]

Btw. to use startx I have to use: sudo startx
$ startx -- -depth 16
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.

What group do I need to join? I am at those:
$ groups
martin cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev vde2-net

Thanks,
Martin