Re: Xorg sever does not work in squeeze for me

On Du, 13 mar 11, 22:39:46, Martin wrote:

> Now in squeeze there is no Xorg.conf file to be found! And [of course]
> I did not save a backup of the old one.

Thats ok in most cases, Xorg should work fine without one.

> Also my graphic card is rather old one [MGA G100] with 6Mb RAM.
>
> Bellow I include file /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> Any suggestion?

[...]

> (--) MGA(0): Virtual size is 1360x768 (pitch 1376)
> (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
> (EE) MGA(0): Static buffer allocation failed, not initializing the DRI
> (EE) MGA(0): Need at least 12384 kB video memory at this resolution, bit depth

I don't really understand why, but the mga drivers seems to think you
need 12 MiB video memory, while according to my calculation it should be
just a bit less than 4 MiB. As a quick fix you can try to pass
'-depth 16' to X, like this:

    startx -- -depth 16

Also check 'man mga' for hints.

Regards,