Re: What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?

On Du, 13 mar 11, 13:33:40, darkestkhan wrote:

> In which case I'm manually intervening, though aptitude is solving
> this problem in most cases for me really gracefully. Running apt-get
> dist-upgrade would cause removal of ~2GB ( latex, fonts, and few other
> ) of packages just to get slightly newer library, which breaks those
> packages.

$ aptitude -s full-upgrade
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
Would download/install/remove packages.

(the 4 packages not upgraded are put on hold on purpose, due to bugs)

I have LXDE, Xfce4 and significant parts of KDE, LaTeX and lots of other
software installed. I never experienced a full-upgrade that wanted to
remove significant parts of the system and didn't get sorted out (mostly
by itself) in a week or so.

Regards,
Andrei