Re: What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?

2011/3/12 John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>:
> darkestkhan writes:
>> ...I don't see a reason why should I do dist-upgrade, after all I'm
>> running sid constantly...
>
> Because the sort of inter-release changes dist-upgrade is intended to
> handle can happen in Sid at any time.

I'm running sid / experimental so dist-upgrade in my case is almost
like throwing away half of the system; And I'm using aptitude
safe-upgrade which is good solution. Also frequent ( I'm doing upgrade
at least 2 times a day ) upgrades are really sorting out most of
inter-release changes that may ( or may not ) happen in Sid. Also
packages in Sid or experimental can have unsatisfied dependencies.

> Osamu writes:
>These are not bad idea but not that essential.
>
>You have to have a rescue media or another relatively new content
>partition which you can use to boot your system after you broke it with
>upgrade.  Dual boot + Rescue GRUB disk is something I always use to save
>my recovery time.
>
>Osamu

For entire year ( I started using GNU/Linux year ago and from the
beginning I was using sid / experimnetal ) of running sid /
experimental I never had to recover my system.

darkestkhan
jid: darkestkhan@gmail.com
May The Source be with You.