Re: What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?

On Sb, 12 mar 11, 19:07:50, darkestkhan wrote:

> I'm running sid / experimental so dist-upgrade in my case is almost
> like throwing away half of the system; And I'm using aptitude
> safe-upgrade which is good solution. Also frequent ( I'm doing upgrade
> at least 2 times a day ) upgrades are really sorting out most of
> inter-release changes that may ( or may not ) happen in Sid.

That's not my experience, left undone some full-upgrades just tend to
accumulate more packages to be removed. Especially library packages are
"removed". Example:

Package foo version 1.2 depends on a library with package name
libbar1.2. Now foo version 1.3 is uploaded, which depends on a library
with name libbar1.3, but for some reason libbar1.3 conflicts with
libbar1.2. apt will not be able to upgrade foo unless you allow it to
remove libbar1.2, which is normal and what you would want.

Unfortunately there are also cases when a dist/full-upgrade will do the
wrong thing. Distinguishing between the two cases needs experience (but
aptitude's interactive resolver is of great help).

> Also
> packages in Sid or experimental can have unsatisfied dependencies.

You might want to add testing to your sources.list, because it can
happen that a package is removed from unstable to unblock a complex
transition to testing.

Regards,
Andrei