Re: Re (2): [OT] US tax forms with acroread from debian-multimedia

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. writes:
> "Publishing" is perhaps a bit harsh.  Most web-based tax services use
> end-to- end encryption to prevent the data from being intercepted both
> times it is "on the wire": from you to them and from them to the IRS.

It's secure from them to the IRS but the Web is inherently insecure.

> I've had a excellent experience using TaxAct's web-based software to
> file my personal taxes for at least the 5 past years.

What are their penalties should they breach their contract with you and
disclose your confidential information?  Do they promise to make you
whole or just to pay some sort of liquidated damages?

> I am not sure if the IRS supports direct electronic filing by
> individuals...

They do not.  The IRS does not trust the Web.
--
John Hasler