Re: What is the difference?

On 2011-03-09 20:40 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> It is not a great problem, but I wondered, why non-installed packages appeared
> as to be installed.

Because they have been selected for installation (dselect sometimes
"helpfully" does that automatically when you run it as root).

> When I googled, most sites are pointing to version a) and
> some to b). The correct version is b) --> dpkg --get-selections > mylist.txt,
> (if you want, like me, ONLY installed packages). Maybe the manual should be
> improved, to make it clear?

I think the manual is clear enough, but there is one caveat: with older
dpkg versions (prior to version 1.15.4), "dpkg --get-selections '*'"
would even print packages that are purged and _not_ marked for
installation.  This could be used to purge installed packages on the
target system where you feed the list to "dpkg --set-selections".

Since this is no longer possible, you should run
"dpkg --clear-selections" prior to "dpkg --set-selections" to replicate
an installation on another computer.

Sven