Re: What is the difference?

On 2011-03-09 19:59 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> I wondered what is the difference between
>
> a) dpkg --get-selections "*" > mylist.txt
> and
> b) dpkg --get-selections > mylist.txt

This is mentioned in the dpkg manpage:

,----
`----

> I get different results, but the asterix is a joker, and the results should be
> the same. The manual did not mention the asterix, and I suppose (as many sites
> told using the asterix), option a) is orphaned.

No, it's not.  But since dpkg (as of version 1.15.4) no longer records
purged packages that are not marked for installation in the status file,
a) and b) will usually give the same results, AIUI.

> Am I correct?

I also get a difference.  Version a) lists several additional packages
as "to be installed", some of which no longer exist.  I wonder why
(maybe I have used inadvertently used dselect(1) as root?).

Sven