Re: Assistance for Visually Impaired Student

Am 07. Mar, 2011 schwätzte Chris Davies so:

moin moin Chris,

This will be an experiment as I usually reply inline :).

I believe top-posting, rather than inline replies, is easier for the blind
for two reasons.

The first is probably mostly tech in that the screen readers don't
understand the context of >, >>, etc. Send /etc/motd or the output of
uname -a to festival to experience the issue :).

The second issue is probably the bigger one. A blind person can't just
glance at the previous text and those of us who reply inline tend to
depend on that context for our responses to make sense.

I agree that just top-posting without any context is generally not helpful
to either the sighted or the non-sighted :).

By top-posting with appropriate context in the reply we make it easier to
just read the new content.

ciao,

der.hans

owens@netptc.net wrote:
P.S.  I am top-posting to emphasize my appreciation.

You also wrote in another article that it's (apparently) easier for
visually impaired readers for people to top-post. Please excuse my
curiosity, but why wouldn't the inclusion of some context to show the
points being discussed be unhelpful for those who are visually impaired?

I can understand that the inclusion of an entire message simply to add
two or three lines of comment at the bottom is unhelpful. It's unhelpful
to visual readers, too, and misses the point of top or bottom posting
entirely.

Thanks,
Chris

#  ABLEconf - 2011Apr02 - Free Software for Free Enterprise
#  "Luckily, this is a comic book, for which no idea is too complex."
#    -- Larry Gonick from The Cartoon History of the United States