Re: Debian 6 uninstallable?

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Bret Busby wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Camaleón wrote:

I tried installing the 64 bit one, and it does not proceed past the
"Configure package manager"

Okay. But now at least you reached the installer. That's makes more sense
to me.

Every mirroor that I tried, in Australia, and, in the USA, returned "Bad
Archive Mirror".

In Australia, I tried the WAIIA, iinet, UWA, au.debian.org, optus.net,
and other mirrors, in the USA, I tried the MIT, Berkely, debian.us (or
whatever it was), and others, all with the same error message.

Surely, they can't all be lacking Debian 6 amd64 mirrors?

I think it should be "Bad Debian 6"!

This is the most problematic installation process that I remember.

That sounds indeed very weird. One mirror can have problems but not all
of them. I'd suspect from your Internet connection at the time of the
installation.

Did you manually specify the mirror's URI or just select one from the
drop-down menu?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

I selected from the drop down list.

I will, in a few hours, try what someone else suggested - go out to a console, and try to ping out, to check the Internet access.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Went to console, tried to ping; error returned "ping not found".

So far, 3 CD's, ~800MB of downloads, still unable to install Debian 6.

It sounds very much like the Monty Python "dead parrot sketch".

In setting up (manually) the nertwork settings, it automatically found the gateway IP address, so I assume that the NIC is operational with the installation process so far.

It will now have to wait until I have found how to check our download quota usage, before I try to download the next suggested iso image of 400MB to initiate yet another installation attempt.

It appears that I should have ignored the instructions, and just downloaded the DVD image from the web page at http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ , as it would probably work out being less in downloads, if the DVD iso image works.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."