Input methods and terminal - any ideas?

  I'm fairly new to Debian, but not to Unix.  I'm using a standard
Lenny install (Squeeze later, when I have more confidence) and use KDE
as the desktop.  I need to use an input method for non-English scripts
and have been reviewing scim and the offerings there.  I am not ready
to install this yet, but have installed all the fonts I will need
(UTF-8) and the locale is set appropriately.  To my surprise, I find
that Gnome terminal already has all of the input methods that I need.
Where did they come from?  Neither konsole nor xterm seem to have an
input method option.  Does anyone know if I can re-jig the input
methods of terminal so that I can access them directly through
OpenOffice, Iceweasel or KDE applications (apart from copy and paste)?

  Any ideas would help.  Thank you.

Rob Hurle

--
Rob Hurle