Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 21:47, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> Are there any rankings of the most popular Linux distros for the enterprise desktop?  My guess is that the most popular enterprise desktop distros are Ubuntu, RedHat, and SUSE.
>
> What features/characteristics are needed for an enterprise desktop computer that aren't needed for a home desktop computer?
>
> Are there companies or organizations that use Linux Mint?  Linux Mint is the distro I recommend to Windows users.  Linux Mint has a Windows-like feel, and I find it more user-friendly than Ubuntu.  Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, most of the help out there for Ubuntu also applies for Mint.
>
> For those of you who have helped a company or organization migrate from Windows to Linux or from one Linux distro to another, what is your preference?

This is easy: RHEL or it's twin CentOS. It is widely deployed on
servers, probably on par with or more than Debian in my anecdotal
dealings. It is also often found as a enterprise desktop OS, the only
one that really competes with Suse. Other than RHEL/CentOS and Suse,
you won't find anything on an enterprise desktop. I'm donning the
fireproof undies now... Gentlemen: flame me with your Debian
enterprise desktop experience please!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il