Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 22:34 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 21:47, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> > Are there any rankings of the most popular Linux distros for the enterprise desktop?  My guess is that the most popular enterprise desktop distros are Ubuntu, RedHat, and SUSE.
> >
> > What features/characteristics are needed for an enterprise desktop computer that aren't needed for a home desktop computer?
> >
> > Are there companies or organizations that use Linux Mint?  Linux Mint is the distro I recommend to Windows users.  Linux Mint has a Windows-like feel, and I find it more user-friendly than Ubuntu.  Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, most of the help out there for Ubuntu also applies for Mint.
> >
> > For those of you who have helped a company or organization migrate from Windows to Linux or from one Linux distro to another, what is your preference?
> >

> This is easy: RHEL or it's twin CentOS. It is widely deployed on
> servers, probably on par with or more than Debian in my anecdotal
> dealings. It is also often found as a enterprise desktop OS, the only
> one that really competes with Suse. Other than RHEL/CentOS and Suse,
> you won't find anything on an enterprise desktop. I'm donning the
> fireproof undies now... Gentlemen: flame me with your Debian
> enterprise desktop experience please!
<snip>
I've been following this with interest as we are about to deploy what we
hope will be very many enterprise desktops.  We had originally planned
on Ubuntu until we realized their understanding of long term support was
very different from our understanding.

We are very big RedHat fans as they really seem to walk the walk when it
comes to open source and so considered both CentOS/RHEL and Fedora.  The
intentionally short support cycles for Fedora were the showstopper there
while CentOS/RHEL tend to lag too far behind for a desktop as opposed to
a server distribution.

That is ultimately what led us to Debian. It has been our first major
experience with Debian and we have been quite pleased with it as the
best balance for a desktop OS thus far when we combine stable,
backports, and occasional bits from testing with a well designed
preferences file.  Very, very interested in other thoughts - John