unable to login as root

I installed debian 6.0.0 amd64 netinst. I installed about 3 different time. I can login to my regular account and everything seems to work. Since I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 x2 I thought I should be using this version. I get an authentication failure when I try to login as root.  I tried the 32 bit version before this and was able to login as root. I've checked my password many times. I've been using computers for about 20 years. Started with Dos than Windows. I tried linux a few years ago and didn't have much luck with it. Seems to have improved. Look like I've gotten everything to work except my printer (Brother MFC-5860CN). Anyone know what might be going on with my root login and if their is away to make my printer to work. It's not listed in the database of printers.

Thanks

In God We Trust!
Have a nice day!
Jim Kester