Re: unable to login as root

On 02/28/2011 02:14 PM, Jim Kester wrote:
I installed debian 6.0.0 amd64 netinst. I installed about 3
different time. I can login to my regular account and everything
seems to work.

From the console or from a GUI?

If from the GUI, then that's (probably) on purpose, since logging into root from the GUI gets you in the habit of doing so, and That's A Very Bad Idea.

                Since I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 x2 I thought I
should be using this version. I get an authentication failure when I
try to login as root. I tried the 32 bit version before this and was
able to login as root. I've checked my password many times. I've
been using computers for about 20 years. Started with Dos than
Windows.

So has my wife, but I don't think (nay, I *know*) she can't install and config Debian.

         I tried linux a few years ago and didn't have much luck
with it.

I needed a "friendly" distro when I first started with Linux. Maybe you do to. Ubuntu 10.04LTS is what I put on my wife/kids PC, but I've also heard good things about Mint.

         Seems to have improved. Look like I've gotten everything to
work except my printer (Brother MFC-5860CN). Anyone know what might
be going on with my root login and if their is away to make my
printer to work. It's not listed in the database of printers.

A little Googling finds this thread seems to indicate that your printer *is* supported:

I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.