Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On 02/28/2011 12:47 PM, Jason Hsu wrote:
> Are there any rankings of the most popular Linux distros for the enterprise desktop?  My guess is that the most popular enterprise desktop distros are Ubuntu, RedHat, and SUSE.
>
> What features/characteristics are needed for an enterprise desktop computer that aren't needed for a home desktop computer?
>
> Are there companies or organizations that use Linux Mint?  Linux Mint is the distro I recommend to Windows users.  Linux Mint has a Windows-like feel, and I find it more user-friendly than Ubuntu.  Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, most of the help out there for Ubuntu also applies for Mint.
>
> For those of you who have helped a company or organization migrate from Windows to Linux or from one Linux distro to another, what is your preference?

First, I hate the buzzword "enterprise". Somehow, it's supposed to
convey some sort of "big iron" "rock solid" software, yet when push
comes to shove, "enterprise" comes from the administrator, and the IT
team, not necessarily the software.

Second, just for clarity with the rest of the list, it's "Red Hat", not
"RedHat"; it's "openSUSE" and "SUSE" not "OpenSuSE" or "SuSE", or any
other convoluted camel case spelling.

Thirdly, anything really can fit the bill for the datacenter. At my
place of employment, all of our servers are RHEL, Solaris and HPUX. Our
developers use virtualized desktops which were migrated from Windows to
GNU/Linux. So, for those virtual desktops, we use Red Hat Enterprise
Desktop 6. We tried Ubuntu and openSUSE in the past, and other
GNU/Linux-based operating systems, and they usually fell short in one
area or the other, or they were too much work to administer.

For us, the features that are important are java support and oracle
support on the servers, and remote display protocol support on the
virtualized desktops, for which we use NoMachine NX. We need
provisioning tools, such as RHN Satellite, Cobbler and Kickstart. We
need clustering and management support and a local repository for all
the server and desktop software. More importantly, we need solid
stability and security.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o