Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

On 02/25/2011 06:35 PM, shawn wilson wrote:
> i don't think your examples are very good / secure. however, if you want
> security, you might go with openbsd.

http://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/

Security isn't a binary function, and it's not something that is shipped
with operating systems or software. Security is implemented by the
administrator, not the vendor. You can secure a Windows server just as
hard as a GNU/Linux one, and if you don't think you can, you're fooling
yourself.

> however, if you are a restaurant with a small web site, you are probably
> not getting that many visitors in the first place (defacement isn't
> going to cost you much), you probably aren't taking in data (no
> disclosure of loss of pii required), maybe you don't even have any form
> fields (no sql injection, xss, xsrf, etc), maybe you even host it with a
> hosting company so they've got their own security. so, you've got decent
> security by default and you're losses would be minimal. so, you'd be
> stupid to spend tons of money on securing your web page.

Remind me not to hire you as my administrator. A small business is
likely to lose much, much more when targeted with an attack than a
global empire. Funds are usually tight, good technical expertise is hard
to come by, and coming back from a compromise costs more time and energy
due to limited resources than a mega corporation.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o