Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

Aaron Toponce schreef:
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:18:20AM +0100, Klistvud wrote:
4. The sshd daemon allows root logins by default.

Oh brother. The ssh daemon also allows logins via passwords. I assume
you think this is less secure as well, as ssh keys should be the
preferred method. We should also change the port off 22 to something
like 31867, right?

Security by obscurity my friend. Security by obscurity.
No, it is not. When root logins are allowed, you only need to know one password. When root-logins are not allowed, you need to know two passwords *and* a user name.

Sjoerd