Re: Debian stable vs. testing for Swift Linux (antiX derivative)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:52:22 -0600, Jason Hsu wrote:

(...)

> However, I'm now considering having all subsequent versions use Debian
> Testing packages, as the Swift Linux base is Debian Testing, and I'm
> not sure that the Debian Stable packages really mean that much
> improvement in stability.  What do you think?

What is the main purpose for that little box? If it provides critical
services I wouldn't doubt it and stick with stable (now Squeeze).

But I also find "testing" (now Wheezy) to be very stable for most common
purposes :-)

Anyway, as it can be read from Swift's web page, it seems to be feeded
from both, stable and testing packages:

***
http://www.swiftlinux.org/about

Additional Benefits

* STABLE EVEN BY LINUX STANDARDS: Swift Linux has roots in Debian's
Stable and Testing branches. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are based on Debian's
Unstable branch.
***

> That said, for the versions of Swift Linux that have OpenOffice
> preinstalled, I intend to stick with OpenOffice 2.4 (from Lenny) because
> it's lightweight.  Version 3 of OpenOffice has double the requirements
> of version 2.  I don't think version 3 would work well with 128 MB of
> RAM (minimum requirement for Swift Linux), and the extra space it
> requires would likely make the Swift Linux ISO file too large to fit on
> a CD.

Hum... if you are planning to run OpenOffice (how about LibreOffice?) in
that box I guess you should be fine with Debian testing branch.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón