Re: Create a separate X session for displaying a single app

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:10:36 +0000, Ryan Braun wrote:

> I have a dual output nvidia videocard that I would like to setup the
> second display to be a dumb display that would just display a single app
> with no user control whatsoever.  So no window manager or desktop
> environment needed or wanted on that display.  Just the app with no
> screensavers or screen blanking.  On the main display,  I'll be running
> kdm and using KDE.
>
> I would have no problem setting this up as a second display in X and
> running it that way,  but I have a need to run this second display in a
> sort of kiosk mode.  So regardless if anyone is logged in to the system,
>  I need that second display to be up and running.  I would just setup an
> init script to start up the second display upon boot.

(...)

The easy way could be to create a dedicated user account just to be used
in full kiosk mode (KDE had a module for setting up a whole environment
like this), so once you configure that account with limited priviledges,
you can tweak the screens as you want.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón