Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

Dr. Ed Morbius schreef:
on 17:25 Thu 24 Feb, Sjoerd Hardeman (sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl) wrote:
Dr. Ed Morbius schreef:
on 16:24 Wed 23 Feb, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. (bss@iguanasuicide.net) wrote:
On Wednesday 23 February 2011 15:11:25 Carlos Mennens wrote:
3. Debian installer defaults to creating user group names which is just a
mess.
Actually, I prefer user group names.  I'm not sure I have a
really strong argument for them.  What facts support your
assertion that they are "just a mess".
The most compelling argument I could think of would be that NFS *still*
only allows a maximum of (IIRC) 16 groups IDs to be associated with a
given user.

I said "most compelling".  I didn't say compelling.  IMO this is a
severe deficiency of NFS (of which it's not particularly lacking
otherwise).

Since when does nfs keep track of the groups a user belongs to? So
how can nfs have a limit on the number of groups that a user can
belong to?

Network FILE System.

File attributes:  owner, group, world permissions.

Do the math.

NFS (through version 4) transmits the user's EUID and EGID, as well as
associated groups for any file access operation.  The protocol allows
only 16 groups to be transmitted.  Note that NFS/NIS (the two protocols
are generally used together) effectively define a flat name-group space
across the storage network.
Thanks for the explanation.

Sjoerd