Re: Things I Don't Understand About Debian

On Wednesday 23 February 2011 15:11:25 Carlos Mennens wrote:
> 1. Screen from console is not cleared as root or regular user once you log
> out.

Do you want /sbin/init to clear/reset the vt before respawning a process,
/sbin/login to do so before it outputs anything, or do you want /etc/skel to
contain .bash_logout, .zlogout, etc. in order to suggest users clear their
screen?

Any of them is likely a small patch, although /sbin/init and /sbin/login do
need to support more consoles that the Linux vt.

> 2. Users home directories get created with 755 permissions. Anyone can
> access your home directory and files.

Pretty normal for a Linux really.  SLES does the same thing.  You can always
change that easily enough.  It makes it easier to share things, and sharing is
the default in most Free Software communities.

> 3. Debian installer defaults to creating user group names which is just a
> mess.

Actually, I prefer user group names.  I'm not sure I have a really strong
argument for them.  What facts support your assertion that they are "just a
mess".

> Obviously these are not critical issues but in my opinion extremely
> annoying and pointless. Does anyone know why Debian developers choose
> these behaviors for a default Debian system? I just don't understand
> the logic.

This is probably best taken up with debian-devel.  This is more of a users-
helping-users group.  There are certainly some DDs here, but most of use don't
have direct control over the development policies of Debian.