Re: Debian Multi-Media.

>On the 24/02/2011 15:51, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:36:36 +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>

>> Hi, since debian-multimedia is a side project and not Debian proper it
>> makes sense that news regarding d-m are posted on d-m list and not here.
>
> Yes, but not every Debian user follows those lists and posting here is
> also a good way for "your users" (D-M users) to be aware of any important
> change on the repo. And dropping support for a complete distribution in
> one of the most used repositories of Debian is something I consider
> important or relevant for this list.
>
>> As for anyone using d-m and willing to stay on top of things subscribing
>> to: dmo-discussion@debian-multimedia.org
>> and other d-m lists, or pay www.debian-multimedia.org a regular visit.
>> Seems like the right path to follow, to me at least.
>
> When I first read D-M notice about discontinuation of lenny, I reviewed D-
> M lists to find additional information or explanation about the change
> but there was no post on this matter or I couldn't find any :-(
>
> In fact, my "rant" is more because of the little information it was
> provided that lead many of us to think there wasn't going to be packages
> for lenny any more.
>
> Greetings,

While I agree with you for the most part, d-m is not always well
received among some dd's and some users as well, given the very harsh
comments frequently made about d-m on the bug-tracker, and sometime on
the Debian lists, I can understand that Mr Marillat tries to keep things
clearly separate. Squeeze went public on the 6th, Christian Marillat
acknowledged the oldstable repo problem in a thread [1] about Squeeze
release the day after, and posted an update on the website the same day.
He certainly didn't explain the technicalities behind the problem, but
the information was out, and if you email him I am pretty sure he'll
take a few minutes to feed your curiosity.
While I personally am glad that you would like d-m to be more tightly
integrated in Debian proper, I can also understand why it's not happening.

[1]
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/lurker/message/20110207.161853.6c7b0ceb.en.html