Re: To 64 or Not to 64?

On 02/23/2011 02:27 PM, David Baron wrote:
I am currently running Sid, 32-bit with recent i686 32 bit kernels.
Here is my cpu: ~$ lscpu
Architecture:          i686
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
CPU(s):                2
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    1
CPU socket(s):         1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            15
Model:                 4
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               3000.282
L1d cache:             16K
L2 cache:              2048K

Should I go to a 64-bit kernel? Benefits vs. Risks?
Will 64bit enable kvm functionality on this box?

What do you do with your PC?

If you're "just a desktop user", then I recommend sticking with 32-bits (and a PAE kernel if you have gt 4GB RAM).

Will this work with existing packages which could then be changed to 64 bit
piecemeal or if taking the plunge, must/should redo everything?

There is a 64-bit kernel for the 32-bit distro. It would make installing the nvidia driver impossible thru the Debian package, but it *is* doable via much manual intervention.

--
"The normal condition of mankind is tyranny and misery."
Milton Friedman